What is Replication in Lotus Notes?
A Secret place to work in Offline mode. A duplicate copy of the database with the same replication ID number as in the original database. In Lotus Notes, you can create a local replica of the database you are working in. So we can say Replication is the process of creating identical replicas
How to create a new replica in Notes?
- Open IBM Notes application click on File → Replication → New Replica.
- If the replica you’re creating for an application is on Domino server. Notes opens the ApplicationName dialog box. Do one of following:
If you’re creating a replica for local application, Notes opens the ApplicationName dialog box to overwrite replica for an application. Do any one step:
- For creating a local replica in the data directory, proceed to step 4.
- For creating a replica on the server, from the server list, choose the name of the server on which user want to create a replica and click OK.
- Edit the name of a file in File path field for a replica. To define the file path click on the folder icon and locate the server directory where you want to save application replica.
Click on OK.
- For creating a replica on Domino server, select Server name from the server list for which you want to create a replica and click OK.
- For locally creating replica, modify file name in File path field for a replica. To define the path of a file, click on an icon of folder and browse the directory where to save replica.
How to change Lotus Notes & Domino Database Replica ID?
There is only one way for changing the replica ID in Lotus Notes or Domino server that is creating a new database copy by using of IBM Notes Client.
Click on the File menu and select Database option and choose New Copy there. This will create any random new replica ID for that new database.
How to remove the replica from lotus notes bookmarks?
Follow the below given procedure to remove the replica from IBM Lotus Notes bookmarks:
- From dialog box of Manage Replica Server List, select any server.
- Click on Remove.
In the same way, to add a replica from bookmarks.
- Select the server in Add server list from dialog box Manage Replica Server List containing the replica of the application.
- Click on Add.
How to find servers containing replica?
Click on Discover in the Manage Replica Server List dialog box to find all the servers in your domain which have the replica of the application. This process may be longer.
How to direct a replica to a new server?
This is needed when a user tried to replicate to a replica and get the message that the replica has been moved to some other different server then you’ll need to point bookmark to a new server.
Following are the steps:
- Locate for replica’s bookmark.
- Right click on bookmark to select Open Replica and then choose Manage List.
- Enter the name of the server at the bottom on which you want to replicate and click on Add.
- Now when Notes replicates next time, first it tries the old server and then the newly added server.
How to Setup replication schedule in Lotus Notes?
After creating the local replica of IBM Notes Application, your replica can be kept in sync with the server also. You can do this by setting up the replication schedule which allows replicating or syncing of the local replica on regular intervals.
Procedure for setting up Replication schedule:
- In Notes application, click on File → Application → Make Available Offline.
- Click on Set or Change Schedule button.
- Choose Replicate/sync at this interval for normal priority and define the schedule accordingly:
Choose replicate/sync at this additional interval for high-priority and specify the above-discussed schedule.
Choose any other replication triggers and the option by which you will be prompted when any triggers take place so that user get the chance to cancel replication and sync option
Click on OK button.
Click on Options for this Application and choose Options for Apply changes to all locations. Any changes applied here will be for all locations.
Click on OK button.
Go to Replication and Sync page and make sure that the entries you want to replicate or sync have checked in the Enabled column.
- In Daily from field set the start and end times which specify the time period in a day during which user want replication and sync to occur.
- In Repeat, every field defines the number of minutes which you want to elapse between replication and sync operation.
- In Days of the week field, define the days on which user will want replication and sync to occur.
ERROR: Replication is disabled for this database while synchronizing contacts.
When does this error occur?
On the replication page users has enabled to synchronize contacts but while starting replication getting an error “Replication is disabled for this database”
Go to the replication page and select synchronize contacts field and right click it and choose Application Properties. In settings, choose Replication Settings and other and also make sure that the field “Temporary replication for this replica” must be unchecked.
Replication is an important feature of IBM Notes. Domino servers and Notes identify NSF files by their Replica ID. Replication feature of Lotus Notes enables the user to work offline in Lotus Notes and Domino server. In this article, we have discussed how notes replica is created and deployed. Also, we have stated the error occur during the IBM Notes replication and give solution for this.
Thing to Know:
According to professional researchers, they found out that the most widely used email client by email users for an official use is MS Outlook. Somehow if IBM Notes user would like to switch to another email client, they can do so by migrating NSF file to PST. A PST is Outlook supported file format so it can be easily accessed there.